Spicy Broccoli Salad is a combination of sweet and spicy plus lots of crunchy goodness.
It’s a new year and I am trying to eat more green things and less sugar. I am not against sugar at all – and realize life would be very boring without it also, baking is one of my favorite things to do so…cutting back is about as far as I’m going to go with that:)
Broccoli Salad is one of my go-to recipes to make . I really love the spicy hot version but, the peppers and hot sauce can be left out if that is not your thing! This recipe is fast and easy to make with only a short list of ingredients. There are so many options for toppings or mix-ins which means that anyone can find a combination that they like.
Optional Toppings are:
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Apple, chopped or shredded
- Walnuts or almonds
- Dried Cranberries
Don’t forget to use Dukes mayo! Maybe you have to be southern to understand that one. Just trust me, it makes all the difference:) The mayo is available from Amazon if not locally.
Happy meatless Monday to all you fabulous readers!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup Dukes mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoon vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2-3 drops hot sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop broccoli, onion, jalapeno peppers(remove seeds and membrane)
- Add raisins and sunflower seeds.
- Mix all together.
- For the dressing; mix all ingredients until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture and stir.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.