Easy Macaroni & Cheese that really is the easiest homemade mac n cheese recipe!
What can I say about life lately….? Mostly that it has been crazy! I really hate that I look forward to summer all the seemingly endless winter long. Annd… then when summer comes life gets so crazy busy that it just blows by and I hardly have time to acknowledge that it was even here…wahh…
This is when recipes that are easy to make but, the tastiest that you have ever had come in handy. And in my opinion this macaroni & cheese is all of that. Fire up the grill and use this as a side dish or just make a meal out of it. I have definitely been guilty of that one:)
Layer cooked and buttered noodles in bottom of dish.
Layer grated cheese over the noodles.
The best part! Dollop sour cream over the cheese and noodle layers.
Pour milk and egg mixture over all the layers. Pile the rest of the buttered noodles on top. And last but not least add a really good layer of the white mexican quesadilla cheese on top. I find this cheese in the “mexican” section at a local grocery store. I’m sure another cheese could be substituted. This one is my favorite because it is just so melty!
I put the baking dish in a pan just in case it cooks over in the oven.
Bake and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Best served immediately!
The stringy cheesy goodness!
- 16 oz. box elbow noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese,adjust amount to taste
- 3 cups mexican white quesadilla shredded cheese, adjust amount to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot heat 3 quarts salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to directions, just until al dente.
- Drain pasta and stir in butter until melted.
- Stir eggs and milk together.
- Add salt & pepper to milk mixture.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer half of the buttered noodles on the bottom.
- Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese, and part of the white cheese.
- Dollop sour cream over the cheese.
- Layer the rest of the noodles.
- Pour the milk mixture over all.
- Pile the rest of the white cheese over the top. You may need more than 3 cups if you want lots of
- cheese on the top. More is always better:)
- If your dish is really full put it inside another baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until it is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika across the top.
- Serve immediately.
- Recipe can be cut in half. Cook time may be less for a smaller dish. I make it mostly for 2 and it is just as good!