Fall is almost here…I’m a little bit happy about it. More than a little happy about all the pumpkin spice lattes:) And the fall recipes!
This Fall Southern Chicken Salad recipe is just a version of the original that can be found here. They are both Really good..the original has pecans and grapes. This one has toasted walnuts, apples, and sharp cheddar cheese. So yummy!
You know what they say about an apple a day…
I’m sure that there is so much truth to that saying. Apples have many health benefits and they are explained so well in 34 Science-Backed Health Benefits Of Apples by Helen Nichols. A information packed article that I am saving for future reference!
I feel like I really ate too much of this over the weekend. But, after just getting home from vacation I was spoiled rotten and didn’t want to cook anything. Although I did manage to make a huge bowl of this salad and so, that is what we have had to live off of for two days:-) Fine with me..
- 3lb. chicken breast, or 1 whole chicken-cooked and shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth, adjust as needed
- 1 pkg. golden onion dry soup
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dry yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup celery, chopped very fine
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 cup red delicious apples, chopped
- ¾ cup Dukes mayo or plain greek yogurt
- Cook chicken in broth and onion soup for 30-45 minutes. Adjust liquid as needed.
- Remove chicken from broth, allow to cool.
- Debone and shred chicken.
- In a large covered bowl soak chicken over night in the sugar, olive oil, vinegar, dry mustard, and poppy seeds.
- Next day mix in the celery, walnuts, apples, cheese, and mayo or yogurt.
Fabulous Kitchen Tip:
Soak cut apples or any fruit in cold salted water while peeling/chopping to prevent browning. Just remember to drain and maybe pat dry with paper towels if using in a recipe similar to the one above.