Every southern lady should have a favorite chicken salad recipe(that’s just my opinion)! I have tried several that are really good but, this is the one that I love:)
Just don’t forget to toast those pecans, it makes all the difference!
- 3 lbs . chicken breast , or 1 whole chicken
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 pkg. golden onion dry soup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup celery , chopped very fine
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup toasted pecans , chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes , sliced
- 3/4 cup mayo or plain greek yogurt
Cook chicken in chicken broth and onion soup for 30 to 45 minutes or until completely done. If boiling a whole chicken, add more broth or water as needed.
Remove chicken from broth.
Debone and shred.
Soak shredded chicken overnight in the sugar, olive oil, vinegar, dry mustard and poppy seeds.
Mix in the celery, cheese, pecans, grapes, and mayo or greek yogurt.
Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.